Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How to Survive a Heat Wave


Go to the pool. Rule number one, just go to the pool. And get in the water, even if it's just to dip your toes in all that coolness. Why didn't I just go to the beach? It's not as fun when you're alone, for starters. And I didn't feel like dealing with all that sand today. Hot, sticky sand did not sound pleasant. At all. I did, however, grab a power walk. Which, as it always does, leads me down to the beach.

This brings me to rule number two: Drink heavily. I should clarify...drink water very heavily. When the temps are up, your body needs all the help it can get to stay hydrated. So obviously a bottle of iced, cold water does the trick. I took one with me on my walk.

Rule number three: Don't attempt to exercise strenuously when the temps are above average. A power walk is manageable, but if I had been running, well...things probably wouldn't have been that good. If you want to snag a workout outside, do so in the early morning or late evening hours when the sun isn't at it's fullest power.

Other ways to survive a heat wave: water balloon fights, gyms, air conditioning, fans, popsicles, shade, movie theaters. Anything that keeps you cool, really. Yes, it might be beautiful outside, but it's OK to forgo all that beautiful sunshine if you're just not feeling the corresponding temperatures.

Speaking of not feeling things, I stopped reading my current book of choice. While I absolutely loved the subject matter, it just wasn't grabbing me like a good summer read should. Plus, I think I've got too much going on right now for such a heavy read. So I've decided to shelf it for the time being, and that's something I very rarely ever do, but I've got this stack of books calling my name. And in that stack of books, I found the following:

It came to the pool with me this afternoon, and it was sent to me by the author. I intend to give you my official book review once I finish reading it, but for now, I will say that it's turning out to be quite a decent read. I'll leave you with this quote:
 

Question: What's your activity of choice when the temps outside reach record highs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...