Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mexican-ish Acorn Squash

I picked up my last share from the farm this week. No squash, thankfully. We've been getting a lot of it—which is fine with me because I love it. But a girl (and her little girl) can only eat so much of it at a time. Currently, I have a butternut and an acorn squash on my counter. Oddly enough, these two are my favorites:

I typically  don't do anything with butternut squash but roast it, and I'd do the same with acorn squash if I didn't discover how to make this:

Mexican-ish acorn squash, complete with black beans and cumin and...I wish I could link you to the original recipe, but I can't remember what magazine it was pulled from years ago. If you do a Google search, you get a thousand and one variations to have fun with. Here's mine, which is written as a make-ahead meal.

MEXICAN-ISH ACORN SQUASH
Source: See above.

Ingredients
• 1 acorn squash
• 1 can of low-sodium black beans, rinsed
• 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
• 2-3 green onions
• 1/2 cup pine nuts
• Cumin
• Black pepper
• Cherry tomatoes
• Monterey Jack cheese

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Cut the squash in half and de-seed it, then place it on a baking dish with the cut sides down. Cook until soft. When the squash is done, let it cool then cut each half into quarters before storing it. (If you plan to eat some immediately, you'll want to keep warm whatever you intend to plate.)

2) While the squash is cooking, place pine nuts on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for about five minutes. In the meantime, combine the beans, corn and green onions in a bowl. When the pine nuts are done, mix those in, too.

4) If serving immediately, season your squash quarter with black pepper and cumin to taste. Top with the bean mix, then add freshly chopped tomatos—however many you'd like. Add the cheese if desired, then microwave the entire concoction for a minute or two until the cheese melts.

Note: This tastes great with some chopped up avocado, too. Just sayin'.

Question: What is your favorite kind of squash and what do you do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...