Monday, January 21, 2013

Cow's Milk for Baby, #SilkAlmond Milk for Mom



We are a very milk-centric household right now. Hannah transitioned to cow's milk on a full-time basis on her first birthday and hasn't looked back which means we are buying an extra gallon (or more) a week now. She drinks whole, organic milk while we drink the fat-free version. She transitioned smoothly, as did I...unless you count the constant struggle to find shelf space for our growing collection of kid-friendly cups.

We could get by with just four, but kid-friendly cups are so cute and I sometimes can't resist (such was the case with the Elmo cup, which can currently be found in Target's dollar bins). I also can't resist the occasional cup of almond milk.

(Oh, THAT? That other beverage?! Not mine...that's what my husband craves.)

Silk Almond milk is not something I buy on a regular basis, but it remains one of those things that I treat myself to on occasion because I really like it. So I usually pick it up when the craving gets too unbearable, or when it goes on sale (or when 30 of my peers decide to blog about it). I like it in smoothies, in my oatmeal and sometimes in my coffee or cocoa. I'll even drink it straight-up. There are only 30 calories in a single serving, which is less than what's in a single serving of fat-free cow's milk. So that's cool. And, you know, it's made out of almonds so no saturated fats or cholesterol, either.

It's just good stuff, I think.

And, yeah...I have some fellow FitFluential Ambassadors to thank for triggering this latest craving blast. As I said before, 30 of them are working with Silk right now on a recipe campaign—you might have seen some of their creations already if you read any FitFluential Ambassador blogs or if you "like" the Silk page on Facebook. I do, and let me tell you, their recipes all look delicious.

Well, at least the recipes that have been revealed. Silk is unveiling each of the 30 recipes on a rolling basis. They vary from desserts to drinks to savory treats. Heather of Heather's Dish created a chocolate-covered cherry smoothie that had me drooling. I didn't have all the ingredients at home, but a cup of Cherry Chobani and some cocoa powder go a long way toward flavorful when you combine them with  some unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

And since I'm the only one in my house that drinks it, I still have plenty left to use in some of the other recipes that I'm fixin' to try. I also screen capped this gem of a Facebook post:


GENIUS! Doing it.

Someday, I'm sure Hannah will love almond milk like I do (I've given up hope on the husband, he's too picky). She likes just about anything—girl had pot roast for dinner and devoured it, but we haven't given her any nuts yet. She hasn't had any food allergies to date, but I'm nervous about this one because it's such a tough allergy to have. I doubt she's allergic, but you never know. So at the suggestion of our pediatrician, we're going to wait a little bit longer before we venture down that road.

I'm sure she'll be fine.

Question: What kind of milk do you drink, and what's your favorite way to enjoy it?

FitFluential, LLC compensated me for this campaign. All opinions are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...