Wednesday, June 5, 2013

#Running Stretches

Oh, hey—Did you know that it's National Running Day? Whether you run marathons or for just a few seconds here and there during your power walk, you ARE a runner. Runners are not defined by time and/or medals. We are defined by our ability to put one foot in front of the other. As the title of that now infamous book tells us, we're all "born to run." Therefore, we are all runners. Celebrate! Run today for whatever reason you choose, for however long you choose. Me, I run for good health (and because it's fun...yes, I think running is fun.)

Like the badge at right? Make your own and share it with me on Twitter! I'd love to learn why you choose to run.

Speaking of running. Let's talk about stretching. It is an extremely crucial part of any running regime, contrary to popular belief. Someone actually said to me once that they don't really need to stretch because they run a lot. I tried to convince them how wrong this thought was, but I'm not entirely certain I made them believe. All of you stretch before and after your runs, correct? Promise me you at least stretch after your run? Stiff rubber bands don't really work, and that's what your muscles essentially turn into when they aren't stretched after use. Don't be a stiff rubber band. Stretch.

While everyone has a different way to lengthen their muscles after a long run, there are a few that really seem to get the job done for me. Special emphasis should always be placed on the major muscles including and below your lower back, but it never hurts to stretch your arms as they do see action when you're running. For now, we'll focus on my favorite running stretches.



Of course, don't forget to roll out that IT band if you have a foam roller. If you don't have a foam roller...seriously, you should get one. If only to save your IT band. It makes such a difference.

Let me know if you need a how-to on any of the above. I'd be happy to explain. Also, don't forget to stretch both legs equally (obviously).

Question: What's your favorite running stretch? Do you stretch before you run?

2 comments:

Cass @sagetheblog.blogspot.com said...

I have a love hate relationship with my roller, but I think everyone could use one, especially athletes!

adailydoseoffit said...

You speak the truth! It hurts so good, eh?

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...