Friday, August 30, 2013

Pinterest Success Story: Hard Boiled Eggs in the Oven

When I was a kid, I used to hate taking egg salad sandwiches to school for lunch. They smelled, right? When you opened that Ziplock bag, they sent a putrid fume of egg nasty flying around your lunch table. And when you're a kid, the last thing you want to do is be the cause of any foul scent. But, man...such a good sandwich. Just not one I ate often. And then I grew up. I started working out and paying more attention to my protein intake. Which made me appreciate the egg even more. 

Read any magazine about health and fitness and they'll talk about how easy it is to make hard boiled eggs. You can make a bunch on Sunday, keep them in a bowl in your 'fridge, and have healthy snacks, sandwiches and more throughout the week. Protein deliciousness, right? Right, except I hate making hard boiled eggs.

Maybe it's because I can't shake the smell of that Ziplock bag in my lunchbox. But most likely it's because I can't make a hard boiled egg to save my life. I know, I know—it's so easy. Feel free to laugh at me. I laugh at me. But I seriously can never remember how long to boil them, whether they go in before the water starts to boil, and for how long they need to sit in cold water post-boil. Do they even need to sit in cold water post boil?

Seriously, I don't know. Which is why this pin made me so happy:

The link in the pin leads you to nothing, but everything you need to know about making hard boiled eggs in the oven is in the corresponding description. 

I've seen so many pins and have read so many blogs about this technique, but you know how it goes...half the stuff you read and/or pin, you leave in The Land of Never-Do-It. Right?

Well, I did it. And it works.

30 minutes in a 325F oven grants you perfectly hard boiled eggs—without having to boil them. And they did seem pretty easy to peel. 

Now, if you're an egg snob (and I use that term affectionately), you might want to be aware of the possibility of that green layer between the yolk and the white part. I read on Cooking Light's website that this can be eliminated when you run the eggs under cold water when they're done. I tested that theory with a second batch and still got the green layer, but the eggs tasted the same and, you know, smelled the same, too.

I haven't had an egg salad sandwich in years, but I love putting hard boiled eggs on my salad:

Yum.

In case you missed my other success stories:


Question: Have any Pinterest success stories lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...