Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Workout Wednesday: 30-Minute Upper Body and Core Workout

So here we are, halfway through the week (and on the downhill slide to a three-day weekend). Did I mention my return to work? I went back on Monday. Bittersweet, yes. But my job is incredibly flexible and my kids come to work with me, and for that I am extremely grateful. Still, that doesn't make it any easier or less stressful. I still have to get two kids out the door. Not exactly an easy feat. But, we're managing. I don't have any classes or clients on my schedule just yet, but that will change next week. So I've just been playing catch-up. And since my place of employment is a gym, I've been working out, too.

Monday: PiYo Live practice, 3.5 Miles running (31:02/8:52 per mile)
Tuesday: PiYo Live practice

Today, I did an upper body and core workout at the gym and tonight I've got a run scheduled. I don't normally double-up on the workouts, but the PiYo Live practice has been a bit heavy on the legs. I felt like I needed to burn some muscles above the belt. Here's what I did. It took about 30 minutes:

Some clarifications:

1) If you don't have a way to do hanging knee tucks, like from a bar or with ab straps, then you can modify with supine leg lifts on the floor. Or any core exercise that targets your "lower" abdominals.

2) 3-Way biceps curls are done one way per set. So, normal biceps curls for your first set. Take it wide on your second set, then narrow on your last set.

3) What's a pushup with kick-through? Here. Lemme just show ya...



Don't forget to alternate legs throughout each set of 12 repetitions. Seriously...this is my new favorite pushup variation! 

As always, please be smart when trying out new workouts. What works for me might not work for you. If it helps, consult your physician. And of course, you can ask me for help and I'll do what I can within limits.

Now, as for the rest of my week, here's what I'm planning:

Thursday: PiYo Live practice
Friday: PiYo Live practice
Saturday: Home Run 10K (...a virtual race with Jost Running!)

But first, I have to feed the kid. And then I'll snag that 4-miler.

Question: What is your favorite pushup variation?

4 comments:

Kate Scott said...

Whoa that pushup and kick through looks tough! Hope this first week goes okay for you back at work. :)

adailydoseoffit said...

Thanks! Love me some oblique burn...

adailydoseoffit said...

Awesome. Come back and let me know how it goes!

adailydoseoffit said...

Give it a try, girl! It's fuuunnnnnn! :-) First week went well...crazy, but well.

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...