Saturday, April 18, 2015

On giving up running goals (and when it's a good idea).

At the beginning of the year, I made a list of potential races that I wanted to run, one of which was a 25K on May 9th. I had my reservations—could I train through the winter, running a bulk of my miles on a treadmill? Turns out, that wasn't really an issue. Being sick was (it was a rough Winter in my house).

I really wanted to run the 25K because it would be the furthest distance I had ever traveled in my running shoes. I knew I could do it. I knew it would be hard, but I ultimately knew I could do it (despite my reservations). But, I can't.

I can't do it.
I'm giving up my 25K goal and I am 100% OK with that decision.

Sometimes you have to step back and reassess. You have to be honest with yourself and proceed appropriately. My training was going really well, but then I got sick: I trained well through a 9-mile run, then everything got derailed by a congested chest and I couldn't run for an entire week. And then I went on vacation—I ran twice on vacation, but according to my training plan, that wasn't enough. It wasn't the two 5-milers and a 10-miler that I had on tap.

Two weeks off schedule so close to my target race date? Nope. No can do.

Giving up on a goal makes perfect sense if charging toward it puts you at risk for injury. 
I would have been grossly unprepared for a 15-mile run on May 9th. A month out from race day, my weekend long run had only accumulated to nine miles. My short runs were still happening regularly and on schedule (except for those sick/vacation weeks), but I needed more time to increase my weekend long runs. I needed more miles. Because attempting a distance race on anything less than a perfect training plan isn't something I'm willing to do. I literally cannot afford to get hurt.

Giving up on a goal makes perfect sense if you tried your hardest to achieve it. 
I couldn't really control the fact that we call got sick. And a vacation in Mexico is meant to be enjoyed. That said, I stuck to the plan as diligently as I could. So I can give up this goal knowing that I gave it my best go.

Giving up on a goal makes perfect sense if another goal makes even more sense.
There's an inaugural half marathon in the beach town just south of me on May 17th. It's got a fairly flat out-and-back course right along the shores of Lake Michigan. Easy access to the start line, super affordable. With an extra week to train, I should have plenty of time to make it happen. I adjusted my training schedule and was up for another 9-miler today, but had to teach Spinning. So I spent 60 minutes on the bike, then headed out for a 60-minute run.

That should suffice it for now. A little cross training never hurt anyone, eh? I'm looking at two 5-milers this week and a 10-miler next weekend. All of which WILL happen! #getafterit

Giving up on a goal makes sense if you're only giving up on it for the time being.
I have no desire to run a full marathon, but going just beyond that half marathon mark is something I really want to do, so we'll see. Someday I will run a 25K. Seriously, though. I never want to run a marathon. Like, ever.

Here's my new and improved list of potential races for 2015:

May 17: Michigan Shores Mini (New Buffalo, MI)
June 6: Beacon Sunburst 5K, 10K or Half Marathon (South Bend, IN)
July 25: BTN Big10K (Chicago, IL)
August 16: Michigan Wine Trail Half Marathon (Baroda, MI)
September 6: The Magnificent Mile Chicago Women's Half Marathon
September 12: The Color Run 5K (South Bend, IN)
September 20: Detroit Women's Half Marathon
October 18: Foster Swift Half Marathon (Grand Rapids, MI)

Recaps of the races I've already completed this year:
Jost Running See How Far I've Come 10K (January 17)
Second Annual Ice Fest 5K Chocolate Run (February 7)

And now, I rest until Monday morning when I hit the gym for a 5-miler.

I had a nice dinner...

...and I'm currently debating whether I should fold the laundry that's staring me down, or curl up with a book. Chrissy from Snacking in Sneakers sent me a custom sports nutrition plan and a copy of her book to review, and I've been dying to dive in.

A Daily Dose of Fit
Laundry?
Book?

Book.

Question: What is your dream race or fitness event?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...