Monday, August 24, 2015

Zucchini Bread Waffles

Guess what? It's National Waffle Day. Are you hungry? I am. And I'm going to nosh on some zucchini bread waffles because YUM. I love zucchini, it's literally one of my favorites. I have an entire cookbook devoted to recipes with zucchini.

recipes, recipe book, zucchini, 101 things
But obviously, I always want zucchini bread because there's nothing better than a warm slice of it. Except I'm usually the only one that eats it. So with an abundance of zucchini in the house and only so much space in the belly for zucchini bread, I decided to get creative. Hence, the zucchini bread waffles.

waffle, waffle recipe, national waffle day, zucchini squash, breakfast
I literally just whipped up the dough as per the zucchini bread recipe in my cookbook, sprayed down the waffle iron and cooked up a few large waffles. So as not to waste them (or get sick of them) I cut them all up...

waffle, waffle recipe, national waffle day, zucchini squash, breakfast
...and now they're in the freezer. Lesson of the day, though: Your favorite quick bread recipe turns into delicious waffles. Banana bread waffles? Sounds delish. You just have to be ready for longer cooking times. As in, a few minutes longer than your standard waffle mix recipe.

Trust me, it's worth the wait.

I had some zucchini left over that I ended up sautéing, which added some extra flavor to the whole concoction. And you can't go wrong with bananas and syrup, either.

waffle, waffle recipe, national waffle day, zucchini squash, breakfast
I'm dreaming of breakfast right now.
I'm always dreaming of breakfast.
Your favorite meal, too? We can be friends, then.

Go ahead, find a zucchini bread recipe you know and love and give this technique a try. Or, check out these ten delicious waffle recipes from some of my fellow blog friends:

national waffle day, breakfast, food, waffles, recipe
1) Oatmeal Waffles with Cinnamon Maple Greek Yogurt (This Runner's Recipes)
2) Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Waffles (Food Pleasure and Health)
3) Breakfast Wafflewich (The Fit Foodie Mama)
4) Mini Waffle Crostini with Gorgonzola, Cranberries, Pecans and Honey (Run Wiki)
5) Secret Ingredient Carrot Cake Waffles (Strength and Sunshine)
6) Whole Wheat Applesauce Waffles (Slim Sanity)
7) Pumpkin Spice Waffles (The Live Fit Girls)
8) Blueberry Lemon Buttermilk Waffles (Ari's Menu)
9) Breakfast Waffle Sundaes (Uproot From Oregon)
10) Green Chile Cornbread Waffles (The Fit Fork)

Question: Waffles or pancakes and why? Favorite topping?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...